Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's long...again.

November 5, 2009
I was grocery shopping the other day and the boys were having a great time helping me pick out some great veggies for a fabulous salad we had with dinner. I'm so blessed that my kids love veggies (except for some varieties of squash, right Ruth?) So blessed in fact that we had to say more than once for them to STOP eating their veggies (I know, WHAT?!?) and eat the chicken noodle casserole as well. Back to the grocery store, Produce is the first thing you come across as you come in the store so naturally with Liam in the basket with all the yummy 'veg' as Wallace would so aptly put it, it was too big a temptation for him and his face was bright green by the time we reached the check out. I didn't think he would eat a hole out of the head of broccoli, or trim the tops of my Green leaf lettuce like a little billy goat, do you think I will be held accountable for it on judgement day, because I didn't pay for what he ate technically... OH well. I will take my chances, I'm a loyal customer. That's Adele in the background trying her darnedest to lift herself up out of her car seat. she didn't relax back for most of the trip, she was too busy looking around at everything.

November 6, 2009
The kids had a Pizza Party Primary Program Practice tonight from 6-8. Liam was all excited thinking he was going to get to join the fun, and was indignantly devastated when he learned he was getting to spend the evening with mom and dad instead. I told him he didn't get to go to the Pizza Party, but he got to go have a steak with us and he paused for a second and said "We have a STEAK PARTY!" It was all good after that. He loves crushing the peanuts at Texas Roadhouse.

November 7, 2009
Happy Birthday Myles! We went to the Rocket Derby today; the kids really enjoyed it, Liam's only complaint was how loud it was (it so wasn't) he kept demanding ear plugs and when I finally just ignored him he crouched down between my legs on the bleachers and pressed my knees against the sides of his head. earplugs.

November 8. 2009
We had the primary program today, usually my favorite Sunday of the year, only this year was tainted. *sigh* I haven't blogged about this before, but I feel a rant coming on. The primary president in our ward has certain ideas about how children should behave in primary and when the kid doesn't measure up, (which most with any kind of personality do not) they get the wrath of the...we'll call her the Reverence Nazi. I have never had a problem from any of Ruth's teachers, school or primary, about her being a disturbance. Ever. She is my silly little Ruthie who can be a bit giggly with her friends, but I don't think she deserves the censure she has gotten from this certain person in our ward. It started out with her stopping me in the halls after church telling me that Ruth was having some reverence issues. I was NOT happy with her and she got sat down and spoken to about it because she knows better. A few weeks go by and Marcus (ward clerk at the time) got spoken to DURING sharing about Ruth being "On something" :::smiling through her teeth::: Marcus told her if Ruth was having problems to bring her to him. This was not like Ruth and she got in trouble at home again. A few weeks later the 2nd councilor in the primary presidency called me out of the blue to tell me what a wonderful little girl she is and how she has done nothing wrong and that she should not be getting in trouble for anything. I was a little taken aback, understandably. She kind of beat around the bush for a bit but finally told me that Sister Reverence Nazi has singled out a handful kids (including my two, but mostly Ruth) and she is always on them even going so far as to stop sharing time to make an example of them.
Megan <---not happy at this news. I really wanted to confront her about it, but I'm a little scared of her. She would probably reduce me to a tear stained stammering fool in no time, so I didn't do anything.
Another few weeks go by and after church I learned that Ruth was taken from Sharing time and the 2nd councilor was told to go find me to come sit with her. She ended up finding Marcus who brought her right back in and put her with her class. I called her teacher later on to find out what happened because Ruth broke down in tears when we asked her. She had no idea what she had done. Her teacher was very upset and said the only thing she can think of that Ruth had done, other than giggle with the girl next to her for a bit, was rock in her chair, bringing the back legs off the ground. She said one minute Ruth was there and the next thing she knew she was gone. Ruth finally told me she was scolded in the back of the room for being irreverent and then Daddy came in the room and told her to go sit back down. I may be being so indignant because she is my child and I know her. I am under no illusion that she is an angel, she is a world class goof ball,
BUT!






















I think she is fantastic for sitting reverently all through sacrament meeting -without toys and art supplies- so don't think its too big a deal for her to be a little giggly and wiggly in sharing time as long as she is good in class. That's just my POV though and not Sister Reverence Nazi's. Of course her kids never wiggle and giggle. They just don't have as great a personality as Ruth though. I was going to make a fuss, I even laid awake for hours one night thinking up great comebacks and nasty one liners I would never ever say. I was told, though, it might not be a good idea to stir up the hornet nest and on the down low, there would be some changes *nudge-nudge; wink-wink* after the beginning of the year because their had been more that one complaint to the bishops wife who pulled me aside to tell me what a great kid she was when she sat in for Ruth's teacher at the Pizza Party.
I do have great kids. I just wish I could have seen Neil during the primary program. His class was stuck between the organ and the piano behind the podium and they didn't even get to come forward to say their part. He was so proud that he memorized his before Ruth did. They both did fantastic, Ruth finally memorize hers at the last moment, though she still took up her "cheat sheet" as she called it for back-up. She was so funny this morning getting all gussied up with her stick on earrings she saves for special occasions. *note to self- buy more for her stocking* We put her hair in sponge curlers last night so she walked with a bit more bounce in her step this morning than usual. Neil left church with a cookie he broke into bits in order to share with his family. He told us he got 2 for being extra good. Then he said he sneaked the second, and changed his story back to he was really good. Marcus shot an email off to his teacher to find out and got this reply:

Hey Guys, I just wanted to let you know that Neil was excellent in class today. Additionally, he gave a fantastic closing prayer in class. In fact, his prayer was by far the best prayer I have heard given by anyone his age or even his age group, and perhaps one given by children significantly older than him). Just though you should know.
Thanks,
Mike


I have fabulous children

No comments: