Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's a BOY!
Well, we just brought home a new addition to the family, and yes, it was a boy.
My dog Maggie, who was adopted by my little brother quite without our even knowing he was doing it... was delivered of a healthy baby boy today after 15 hours of labor while we tried to find a vet to give her a last minute c-section. See, we knew she was prego, she even went to the Dr. on Monday to get examined and scheduled for her surgery. The only problem was the x-ray machine was broken and they dont schedule c-sections unless they have been x-rayed before hand. I asked the Lady in the Dr. Office what would happen if she went into labor early and she said it would be considered an "emergency" (ie. higher price) if she went into labor on Saturday or Sunday. Her due date was Monday and I was hoping and praying she would make it till then when she could have things done under office policies, but Mother Nature likes to thumb her nose at things sometimes. Like a cooperative pet, she went into labor at 1am on Saturday and kept me up all night crying and going in and out the doggie door in obvious distress. I was just another uncomfortable pregnant lady in no mood to sit by her crate murmuring soothing and encouraging words, poor dog. Tyler would be horrified if he knew (shhh) Sooo, after calling my vet at 9am when they opened, and being told they couldnt get her in until 3pm (a very unadvisable wait they told me), I called every vet within a 10 mile radius and the all refered me to a emergency veternary hospital. THEY wanted to charge me between 2-3 THOUSAND dollars.
Megan ---> :O <----Horrified!
So I went ahead with the 3pm appt. at my regular vets office not really knowing if it would be too late for the puppy by then but willing to chance it. As it turns out, the puppy: ie: George (Ruth deliberated between that, Harold and Max for a while and ended up saying "I'll just ask Maggie, it IS her son..." apparently Maggie liked George.) As I was saying, the puppy, is home now and doing fine. (As long as Liam doesn't help it out too much. He was giving it a drink of water from Maggie's water bowl once). When Ruth and I first brought them home he was curious as to why "Dat George" was chewing on Maggie's "pee-pees" All I kept saying was "It's not her pee-pees Liam". Was that too graphic? It was funny at the time, but it looks hugely inappropriate written out... i apologize if I have offended anyone. ;) So that's our exciting puppy news, that would be more exciting if their had even been at least one more puppy to be writing about. As it is were going to break even with the c-section and maybe have some change left over. I'm rambling, on to the next!


For Mother's Day this year, my brother Travis gave my mom 2 chickens and for 2 weeks they lived in blissful, bug-eating happiness in my moms back yard. (not that she has a ton of bugs mind you...) Then Rosie, her 3 pound Yorkie came home from her honeymoon at a family friends house (she is now the proud mother of one fat baby girl pup named Petunia, or 'Tunie') and during the night found a way to escape her enclosure, the side yard where the doggie door goes into the house, and Killed both chickens. :( My mom was devastated. I was astounded at her tenacity, the chickens were bigger than she was. Anyway, Travis wanted to make it up to her so he built a chicken tractor and brought her 2 new chickens over the 4th of July weekend. It's the coolest thing, almost like a chicken-wheelbarrow so you can move them around to different areas of your yard.
This is Liam looking into the coop (and Rosie down by his side pacing...)
this is what Liam is looking at, The little triangle above the nesting box opens up so you can get the eggs! How clever is that?
Rosie tried her darnedest to find a way in but thus far has been unsuccessful.



My little sister Hillarie left for Africa today. She had 3 suitcases and a backpack. (the black one is full of "Care for Life" humanitarian aid supplies. Ruth was wondering how she was going to carry all her luggage, I just love how she posed herself in the picture. What a nut! I love to travel, but I sure don't envy her the 36 hour flight. :p I must be getting old, or I'm 9 months pregnant. (or both?) The best part of this story is, I just found out Yesterday that she hasn't told her missionary that she is going. I also don't envy her that confession when he gets home in January. "Oh James, BTW, I went to Africa while you were gone... here is a nice Zebra head to mount on the wall of our new home." Hee-hee, I'm horrid.

No comments: