This is a 4 generation picture of Me, my Ruthie, Mother and Grandma taken December of 2003; about 2 years before My Grandma died. She Was born in South Cardiff, Wales in 1926 and met and Married my American grandpa during WW2 when he was stationed in Wales. You can read more about her life here if your interested. I remember her as a feisty, always wore a scarf, cat loving, funny speaking, impatient, hilarious, knitting, chili cooking, almost always send you a dollar in the mail on your birthday (there were a few to remember) tell you like it is 'hunny' kinda Gramma. She once teasingly, but seriously told me I was a snob when I told her I didn't have a boyfriend. "You're a snob hunny, yes you are. Heehee." She always called us buggers when we were naughty and always told my Grandpa to "Hush-up Dad" if he took to long to say his piece. She loved eating out and living just around the corner from Matta's, ate there every day. "Sometimes twice!" she would tell me when I would occasionally drive her there. She always ate a cheese enchilada and got a coffee that she would hide behind her water glass if a friend came in. (as if they didn't know she drank coffee!) She loved shopping at thrift stores, the D.A.V. was her favorite because she got a discount; my Grandpa being a veteran and all. (I'm starting to notice quite a few similarities between us here as I type. Marcus always teases me for ordering the same things at restaurants) My grandma was a fabulous knitter before she had a stroke and made me a grey cable knit sweater when I was about 8. She probably used other colors, but I always remember her knitting in grey. April of 1997 2 of my cousins (Elyssa and Cecily) and I as well as my Uncle John, went to Wales to Meet My Great Grandma Lilly. It didn't happen, she died 2 weeks before we got there. :( I did get to meet My Grandmas 3 sisters (well, half sisters)



Aunties Alma, Sonia and Connie along with dozens of cousins and family friends. Grandma told me she married my Grandpa because she was mad at her mom. She must have been VERY mad at her because she married an American ~X~ Against her mother's wishes ~XX~ and he was a Mormon ~XXX~ She only went back to Wales once after she'd had all her babies and before I 'crossed the pond' so to speak, she told me I had to eat some of the fish 'n chips, and go to Harrods when we were in London. (It's where the Queen shops) Honestly I can’t imagine why that was what she was the most excited about for us. Harrods was ridiculously overpriced and, while the fish 'n chip were Divine, they didn't even begin to compare with...everything else.
When I think about when our country was founded it seems like that was so long ago; but if you think about it, 1776 to 2009 is really just a little blib in histories timeline. Some of the things we saw were breathtaking. Just the old trees and stone walls criss-crossing the countryside that have been there...forever were incredible. The castles we toured and the old pubs we ate at were so foreign in their antiquity, if old castle walls could tell tales…well lets just say I would be interested in listening. You could almost breathe in the history looking out across the ancient graveyards. (Where we even found some old ancestors.)
One day, in Swansea, we stopped in a little town that was having a book fair, the books were like ones you see in a movie, they all seemed ancient and wonderful, but the town also had little antique stores we did some browsing in. The rummage sales and antique stores, were where I got my most favorite trinkets, especially at this particular shop. I found some goatskin mittens that are the most delicious things ever (Sadly, I lost one on the beach that night) and a beautiful baby gown with hand smocking and embroidery. I fell in love with it and bought it with the hopes of one day having a daughter blessed in it. ~ Fast forward 6 Years I returned home, finished school, married my dream boat, and had a little baby girl, but when the time came for her to be blessed, I chose a different gown for her to wear
:

Beautiful baby, beautiful dress; the same dress in fact that her mom wore on her blessing day:
And the little Welsh dress went uncleaned, unworn but still much loved...even over the NEXT 6 years. When we found out for sure we were having another little girl, I pulled my little baby gown out...well actually it was being worn by a doll for all this time, inside a pillowcase, up on the top shelf of Ruth's closet. But I got it out and had it dry cleaned (after researching a reputable place) and have been so excited for the day I would put it on my sweet baby. I ended up having to make a slip for her to wear with it, (used a pillowcase, it worked beautifully) and searched around for just the right accessories. Then we just had to decide on a date. We were out of town in September, October... <---I don't remember why that month didn't work, but it didn't. We toyed with the idea of waiting until December when Marcus Brother would be in town (but everyone teased that she would be old enough to walk up there herself if we waited till the end of December!) MY brother has, for one reason or another, always missed all 3 of my other kids' baby blessing (sometimes by a few minutes) and we have missed all 3 of his kids. So when he told us he would be in town for Halloween we jumped on the opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak and My sweet baby was blessed on Sunday in her beautiful welsh blessing gown and her Grandma Evans crochet her a baby blanket that, as it so happens, is grey.

She was officially named Paula Adele Evans and amongst other things, was blessed to keep her wonderful cheery personality
.
This is everyone who came special to see Adele on her blessing day.
My mom. I miss my Grandma when I look at this one.
Marcus' parents.
Everyone that participated in the blessing.
Marcus' dad is king of the candid shot, I had to crop this one a bit, but it turned out being my favoite. Adele is showing off that wonderful 'cheerful' personality with her Auntie Aubrey. Thank-you everyone who came and helped us make this day special!Ps I told you that dress was a 'whole-nuther' story!









1 comment:
Such a wonderful story. You should write books, you have such a way with words. What a beautiful baby in a beautiful dress. It was such a fun day. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Post a Comment