Wednesday, October 8, 2008


October 8, 2008

Today was National 'Walk to school' day. This is something I have been planning to try, though I was waiting for it to get cooler before doing so. I did find it a bit ironic that on National "walk" to school day, I was the only one walking. My little dilly-dallier Ruth was supposed to hop into the tub and take a quick shower after I drrrrrrragged her out of bed at 7:30am. 10 minutes later I go into the bathroom to hand her the towel and she was just standing in the water…hadn’t washed anything yet. *grrrr* I keep trying to stress that she can soak in the bath as long as she pleases in the evening, but she needs to be quick in the morning. So we got off to a bit of a slow start this morning and I had to jog to make up some time which is why Ruth was crammed into the jogger. Sadly, due to my sedentary life, I was only able to jog about 4 house lengths before my lungs were burning and I had a metallic taste in my mouth. I like to think it made up a lot of the time we had lost though. We made it to the corner in juuuuust enough time to join the ‘walking bus’ on the last leg to the school.
Instead of going back home along the main road, I thought we would meander a bit through the neighborhood and say hello to the cows and emus. We also met some gees, a goat, a ‘eeeheee’ or two and a backyard with…yes we counted them…9 Labrador retrievers. All I could think of as they barked and ran along the fence after us was: “that’s a lot of poop” The cows were the highlight of Neil’s morning walk. Personally I thought they were gross, but he thought the snot was interesting and was ‘weal bwave’ to touch it.
Our long way back home took a tad longer than I was expecting and Neil was 10 minutes late for school but I was glad I made the effort and I felt it justified the 1/2 a bag of Tostidos and 2 bowls of fresh salsa I ate for lunch. All in all the 2.7 miles (yes I got in my car and drove the same course I walked) took me a little more than an hour. Maybe once it gets cooler I will attempt it again and then only on Mondays and Fridays so I don’t have to worry about Neil being late again. Tune in tomorrow for Neil’s field trip to the Fire station…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny Megan. That would be me. Acually, I would probably only be able to jog about 2 house lengths. You did better than I would. Good job. That always feels good to get out and get a good walk in.

Katie said...

There is only about four days a year that are not too hot, not too cold to walk to school (in my opinion) so good for you for taking advantage of one.

M Evans said...

Naaa, it was too hot. I kept crossing the street to get in the best shady spots to walk.