
September 11, 2008
I can’t believe its been 7 years; Alan Jackson’s song “Where were you when the world stopped turning?” came on when I was driving Ruth to school. (Only song on the radio that makes me weepy) and when we got home I hung up our Flag that we got for our wedding that has never been unfolded. I hung it up and then had a mini panic attack that I hung it wrong and someone would think I was in distress or worse, that I would get in big trouble and be on the news for being anti-American with protestors marching outside my house so I ran inside to look up Flag Rules and Regulations on the computer. It told me I did have it wrong, so I ran back out and changed it. Lovely website, it will tell you everything you could ever have imagined about flags. NEVER again will I buy napkins, underwear or stamps with the flag on it :) (Against regulations you know)
Where were you when you heard about the attacks on 9/11? I was in bed and my alarm clock went off right after the first tower was struck. I was listening but it wasn’t registering then all of a sudden I realized what they were saying and I ran to the TV and just sat there in shock. Then I cried; they were closing places all over the state, including ASU, so both my uhhh…future husband Marcus, (I cant use the word boyfriend, I never used when we were dating, it always stuck in my throat, I felt 12 even thinking it) and my Mom got sent home from school and all three of us just watched in shock. Worse than a nightmare, I kept waiting for them to start finding survivors; I still can fathom the number of people that died.









6 comments:
I was just getting out of the shower and heard it on the radio too. I didn't really get it at first, I was just worried because my dad flies a lot and I couldn't remember if he was out of town. So I went into his bedroom, where he was getting ready, and asked if he was flying today because it said on the radio that all airports across the nation are shut down. I remember he just looked at me (obviously realizing something serious was going on) and ran to the living room to turn on the news. We watched in real time as the second plane hit. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it. I can't believe it's been seven years. On a totally separate note, the picture of Ruthie with her sunglasses and hat is right next to your picture in your snow gear and I laughed because they are almost identical!(Minus the teeth) As you post more, the picture will be moved down, but for now it's right next to yours and I couldn't help but notice, like daughter like mother! Very cute!
I was at the gym and was working out and saw it on TV. I thought it was just a TV show at first, but when everyone started talking about it and going home I knew something was really wrong. I went home from the Gym instead of going to ASU and my Dad was still home, so I watched it on TV with him and then headed off to ASU. I remember that the school seemed empty, but some of my classes where still being held that day.
Megan you're so good to remember this sacred day! My heart goes out to all those families who lost loved one's!
I love how you looked up how to hang the flag...you are so sweet and funny!! Your comments on Katie's blog are hilarious!! Happy late Birthday:)
Megan,
This is Kevin Hinton. Thanks for the patriotic reminder. You have some cute kids. My wife found your blog through Kaci and called me so excited that she had found your blog. I hope you are doing well. Peace.
Megan,
I am doing great. How are you? I think it has been at least 8 years. I was applying to Med. school, but decided that I would rather have a family life than make lots of money. Now I am applying to Pharmacy school and hope to hear something in the next couple of weeks. How is Hillarie? How is your mom and Tyler, and your other brothers? Catch me up.
We live in Salt Lake City. What about you? What have you been up to?
It's so good to hear from you. Talk to you later.
Megan, my mom woke me up when all this was happening. I still had to go to class and in institute we sang "Be Still My Soul" and now that song holds really special meaning to me. I was surprised that so many teachers made us stay in class (like my English teacher who I was not crazy about, she was kind of a feminazi).
Anyway, I skipped out of most of my classes the rest of that week because I was affected so strongly. I was very worried about my brothers being called to go to war. Little did I know it would touch me much more closely than that. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the horrors of that day, and wondering how it has sort of been watered down these days. It was certainly a changing point in my life.
(Is that good enough? Just kidding!But really, what did you think?)
Post a Comment