Friday, August 8, 2008














July 2007
We went on a road trip up to Oregon. The kids did really great in the car, i was so pleased with their behavior. Ruth and Neil each had their own DVD players and Neil’s favorite movie was “The Sandlot”. Every time the dog would growl and shake the fence he would cover his ears. Only thing was he had on Ear phones so he was just putting his hands over them. The drive was stunning, We stopped in the Redwood national Forrest, it was early morning and the fog was rolling in off the ocean. There was a little museum that told about the Forrest, trees and some of the wildlife that lived there. Ruth and Neil were fascinated, then we went down to the beach, it was unlike any I remember. Enormous tree skeletons littered the sand, enormous rocks jutted out of the ocean off the coast and the driftwood and smooth stones were all over. (Neil was in heaven) We drove to see the trees next, We saw a heard of Elk that the kids thought were pretty cool, (they thought their white bums were funny) they were right by the road. We also stopped at a place that was green and lush and so gorgeous not one picture i took did the place justice. It was a little canyon that was covered from top to bottom with ferns that a little creek meandered through it, fed by the natural springs all over the canyon walls. Breathtaking! Next stop was the biggest tree in the Forrest, he kids were blown away by the size. The place we stayed at was very nice, we went on lots of nature hikes Ruth found a banana slug that she had seen a picture of in the museum, that made her trip. We also went and spent a day at Mt. Hood's Trillium Lake. We walked around it and spent some time "fishing" The kids didn't actually like it when Marcus took the little rubber fish off their lines and put hooks on them so the actually spent their time casting, and they got quite good at it. Liam ate some Lake dirt. I got so tired of keeping him from it that i just gave up and he happily munched and tasted away. The whole experience was surreal and wonderful and i really want to do it again. Only i wont let Marcus power drive us through to home again without stopping. He wanted to get to his family reunion.




Ruth and Neil love Harry Potter sometimes Neil will run around with a wand-like device he will yell things like “expelliarmus” or “stupefy” or some other spell.
We were at the mall and I was having a hard time finding the all clad pots I was looking for so I got some help from a sales associate. He told me to follow him so we were and the kids couldn’t take their eyes off him. He was huge, and he had an earring. Neil said in a very loud stage whisper “He’s tall” I agreed, then “he’s wearing an earring…boys don’t wear earrings…why does he have one on?” Before I could think up a good answer Ruth beat me to it “They wear earrings if they are pirates!” I hope they didn’t offend him, I thought it was kind of funny.

.

No comments: