Thursday, August 20, 2009

My sweet baby slept through the night last night. If any of you are like one of the ladies at my church you are probably shooting me the evil eye through cyber space right now. She did a little happy dance and was positively giddy when she over heard me saying that I had had a bit of a rough night last Saturday. Adele didn't want to go back to sleep at 3am. Speaking of church, The Young Women made a sign up sheet for all those interested in holding Adele and was passed about for the entire hour! And what a trooper she was, not complaining once.
Back to last night, I did have to get up at 5am to (change my shirt) (and pump) Sorry for any males reading this, for some reason if I put it in parentheses it seems to make it a bit more discrete. or not, She woke up right when I laid back down and I laid there waiting to see how long it would take Marcus to wake up. She sleeps in a cradle on his side of the bed and hands her to me when I nudge him. It took an impossibly long time for him to wake up and even after I felt him wake up he still made me nudge him. I don't understand how Men *in general* can sleep through a baby crying 2 feet from their head, much less the groaning that come before the crying. Really all she has to do is shift and sigh in her sleep and I'm awake. After I fed her and laid her back down it was 5:25am and I was thinking "This is the best night ever!" Then I crawled back under my blanket and relaxed. Of course it was too good to be true, she started to squirm and make squirming noises just as I was dozing off. I nudged Marcus again and asked him to pat her, he has this special pat that usually makes our babies go to sleep. It didn't work so he handed her to me again and she just laid there alternately smiling at me and at the black and white striped pattern the shades made against the newly lit sky.
We did finally get up for a bit, but after an hour even baby smiles weren't enough to entertain me over the lure of my bed and a possible hour and a half more of sleep. So she got the swing (*Thanks Karen*) and we snoozed for about 10 minutes until Boy #1 and Boy #2 came in my room talking excitedly about...something. Once more Marcus got nudged, a bit harder this time, sorry husband, and I sunk back into oblivion.
While 5am is still to early for me to be up, its WAY better than 3. We will see if she is going to keep sleeping through the early am feedings though or if it was just a tease. I am alternately crossing and uncrossing my fingers that she is sleeping longer. It's just one more of the baby phases I both hate, and hate to see go. Ruth slept through the 3 am feeding at 6 weeks, Neil gave me a bit of a panic attack by waiting until 6 weeks and 4 days. He was my midnight cry-baby and I kept telling myself just one more week...just 5 more days...just one more day. then it didn't happen for 4 more days. Liam slept through the night at 5 weeks and 3 days. Could Adele be the new record holder at 4 weeks? I will let you know, but for now... we will be grateful for any kind of sleep, interrupted or not.

No comments: