Friday, November 14, 2008


November 14, 2008
This must be the week for reaching milestones. Neil's friend Reese has been riding his 2 wheeler to school this past week and Neil really wanted to try it out. I have been reluctant only because...I know Neil. Ohhh, I knew for sure he could do it, but I also know he would use it as an excuse to ride in the street. He was already pushing it with the training wheels on; checking to see if I was watching then hurrying to get his bike off the curb, as if I magically couldn’t see him anymore once he was on the blacktop. But today was the day. The weather was perfect, I didn’t want to go to the mall to walk, and I knew running along next to a bike would more than make up for my desire to avoid going to the mall with Mr. Impatient. Plus *shhhhh* he is getting a bike from Santa and training wheels would ruin the 'coolness' of the bright green Tony Hawk bike (I thought he was a skate boarder...) Anyway, after my trial and error with Ruth learning to ride a two wheeler last year, I just started out with the winning technique. This ride was, I think, his 3rd attempt. I don’t understand how riding on the grass makes it any easier, you would think it would be harder, but it works like a charm. He just needs a little more practice on the sidewalk and to get comfortable starting and stopping and he will be ready to drive it to school. Watching this video gives me the strange mixed feelings of Pride and Sadness; my little guy is getting so big.

Of course if Neil had one... Liam had to have a 'bike' as well. My sweet Lee-Lee wants so much to be like is big brother. Everything I get for him, or do for him, he makes sure that Neil isn’t left out. And everything Neil does, he has to do too; the 'grass' technique didn’t work as well for him though. I love the way he scooters; he is still trying to get the hang of it so I think he is pulling back on the handle bars like he is parasailing. We called it a day when Neil was introduced to the playground cactus. Yes...the playground has a cactus.

No comments: